Earthjustice Project Attorney, Risk Management
The Contract, Compliance and Risk Management Project Attorney (Project Attorney) will be responsible for leading projects, rolling out/implementing revised or new legal compliance processes and following up to measure their effectiveness. The Project Attorney supports the GC in law practice management functions of our public interest law firm, including conducting legal research, investigating potential methods of assuring good contracting practices, assuring compliance with legal ethical standards, assisting in improving lawyer onboarding/training, developing a more advanced method of assuring appropriate tracking and reporting of the organization’s lobbying activities, and developing mechanisms for compliance in a number of other areas. The Project Attorney may also work closely with the Litigation Operations Manager and other leaders and staff members throughout the organization. The Project Attorney should be a good planner, consensus builder, able to persuade others and get projects to timely conclusion.
This is a full-time, 2-year position with a potentially renewable term.
- Review or draft contracts on an as-needed basis
- Update contract templates as needed
- Identify and manage implementation of system for centralizing contract management
- Put in place controls to ensure good contracting practices
- Maintain contract management system, assess performance and make any necessary changes
- As needed, select and supervise outside counsel; occasionally function as the client representative of Earthjustice
Risk Management (50%):
- Improve system for assuring lobbying registration and reporting
- Review insurance policies, benchmark, evaluate organizational risks/needs, prepare GC for annual insurance renewal
- Partner with Senior Operations Manager to complete, monitor compliance and conduct ongoing research/necessary revisions to physical security project and disaster preparation plans
- Determine need for compliance calendaring system as well as operational departmental legal calendaring system; assist with designing solution
- Provide support for corporate governance projects
- Provide support to GC on ethics compliance issues
- Serve on project team for development and roll out of new document management system and document retention revision/compliance project
- Provide compliance guidance to leadership on corporate governance, financial structures, investments and other significant organizational issues as needed
- Conduct legal research on a variety of subjects, interpret laws, rulings and regulations and determine how they apply to Earthjustice
- Research, present options, gain consensus, select and retain firm to monitor trademark use
- Perform other duties as assigned
Litigation Practice (20%):
- Support GC and HR by playing a lead role in developing content for onboarding of new lawyers, rolling out the onboarding, auditing results of roll out and remedying any deficiencies that become apparent in the onboarding training over time
- Develop or identify appropriate legal compliance training for all lawyers in the areas of employment, ethics and other areas where needs are identified
- Research and provide guidance to regional offices regarding unique regional legal requirements at the request of those individual regional offices
- J.D. with strong academic record
- California state Bar admission and good standing
- Minimum of 5 years of successful experience practicing law
- Experience with cost effective management of outside legal resources
- Experience drafting and revising contracts
- Experience leading projects in a law firm or legal department context
- Solid knowledge of law firm best practices
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Litigation-based practice experience
- Experience selecting and implementing technology used in law firms
- Knowledge of non-profit corporate law in the state of California
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance
- Experience in analyzing and addressing legal ethics matter
- Experience contributing to training and organizational learning
- Experience with employment law
- Experience overseeing key elements of organizational risk assessment and management
- Experience with real estate law
- Working knowledge of federal tax law as it applies to 501(c)(3) organizations in general and public-interest law firms in particular
- Non-profit experience although it can be through pro bono service
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter here. Closing date: May 4, 2018.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.