AVP, Senior Counsel, Commercial Banking Shared Services Legal
Job Identification - 210146195
Job Category - Counsel
- 10 S Dearborn St, Chicago, IL, 60603, US
- 8181 Communications Pkwy Bldg B, Plano, TX, 75024, US
Job Schedule - Full time
Legal – Commercial Banking Innovation & Products and Shared Services – Assistant General Counsel, Assistant Vice President (Plano, TX; Chicago, IL)
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) (the “firm”) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. In particular, the Commercial Banking business delivers extensive industry knowledge, local expertise and dedicated service to more than 24,000 clients, including corporations, municipalities, financial institutions, and not-for-profit organizations with annual revenue generally ranging from $20 million to $2 billion and nearly 35,000 real estate investors/owners. Commercial Banking offers a comprehensive set of financial products and services including credit, equipment finance, real estate finance, and treasury services, and provides clients with access to the investment banking services of J.P. Morgan.
The firm’s Legal Department is organized by Practice Groups that conform to the organization of the firm’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. Each Practice Group has a General Counsel who is the Practice Group Head and who reports to the firm’s General Counsel. This structure provides the means for the Legal teams to communicate legal and regulatory changes to the businesses and staff areas and for the lines of business and staff areas to communicate business developments that have legal or regulatory implications to the Legal teams in a timely manner.
The Commercial Banking Innovation & Products and Shared Services Legal team is seeking an attorney for the CB Shared Services Legal team with experience in commercial or real estate lending transactions to support the Commercial Banking regulatory and loan operations teams that provide services to various business units of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., a subsidiary of JPMorgan Chase & Co.
The CB Shared Services Legal team provides strategic and transactional legal advice to Wholesale Lending Services, the firm’s loan operations team that supports the wholesale loan portfolio, and is responsible for leading Commercial Banking Legal’s program to analyze laws, rules and regulatory developments as well as provide key strategic support to other regulatory programs.
The CB Innovation & Products Legal team provides transactional and strategic legal support on Wholesale Payments products, with a significant focus on complex product development for Fintech and third-party payment processor clients. The team also advises on Commercial Banking’s business-led transformation, digitization and simplification initiatives and provides legal support across Commercial Banking on established and emerging issues in the areas of privacy, data management and data analytics.
This position will be part of the CB Shared Services Legal. The position will be based in Plano, TX or Chicago, IL.
- Providing immediate day to day legal advice to senior leaders both within the Legal department and internal client teams
- Analyzing foreign and domestic laws/regulations and developments to evaluate impact on various business units
- Collaborating with business, risk, compliance, controls, and other legal partners to issue spot and identify and escalate risks (legal, operational, reputational or otherwise) and implement policy, process and procedural changes to comply with bank policy and changing laws/regulations
- Acting as subject matter expert on certain practice areas, laws and regulations
- Counseling loan operations staff at all levels on interpreting loan documentation, booking and servicing of loans, and reviewing related forms, policies, procedures and job aids
- Participating in cross-line of business projects on a variety of subjects
- Coordinating and leading appropriate legal training for internal client teams
- Collaborating and coordinating with the legal contacts for various lines of business across the firmwide legal team to drive consistency and collaboration
- Coordinating with outside counsel to address operational considerations at all stages of the loan product life cycle
- At least 3-5 years of relevant legal experience in commercial or real estate lending transactions at a law firm and/or in-house legal department at a large bank, regulator or other financial services company is strongly preferred
- JD or educational equivalent required. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including those of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment
- The strategic vision to anticipate legal issues in different lines of business
- The ability to lead and drive teams to institute change and collaboration across a variety of functional areas
- The ability to prioritize work, manage a large number of issues at one time, and confidently interact with senior management
- Knowledge of financial services laws and regulations is a plus
- Excellent research, writing and oral communication skills, with demonstrated ability to listen and drive results in a team setting
- Effective and efficient problem solver; strong organizational skills
- Self-starter; ability to deliver high-quality results under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues
- Demonstrated problem solving and project management skills
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
About the Team
Our professionals in our Corporate Functions cover a diverse range of areas from finance and risk to human resources and marketing. Our corporate teams are an essential part of our company, ensuring that we’re setting our businesses, clients, customers and employees up for success.
With large, global operations, the Legal team tackles complex issues and helps shape the regulations that affect the businesses. The group is organized into practice groups that align with the lines of business and corporate staff areas, which encourages collaboration on legal, regulatory and business developments as they arise.