||Associate Attorney, Community Based Initiatives
||Los Angeles, CA
||Dependent on Experience
||Earthjustice seeks an associate attorney to join our work that prioritizes frontline communities who are burdened with the most pollution and environmental harms while being excluded from environmental benefits provided to other communities. We work with community leaders to challenge the environmental and social status quo, helping communities change the conditions in which they live.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Bozeman, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Seattle, Tallahassee, and Washington, DC.
While each of our offices work with local communities, the Community-Based Initiatives team consists of six attorneys located in New York, DC, and Los Angeles. The associate attorney will add cross-organization capacity but will focus on matters throughout California.
The Associate Attorney position is a three-year position, with potential for extension. The Associate Attorney program is designed to help attorneys who are in the early stages of their careers to develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. As Associate Attorneys gain experience, they gradually take on more independent responsibility for their cases, but work throughout their tenure under the supervision of a Staff Attorney or the Deputy Managing Attorney or Managing Attorney.
- Work closely with other program staff and clients to investigate, develop, and litigate cases, such as through legal and factual research; oral advocacy; and drafting briefs, petitions, comments, and other legal documents.
- Participate in cultivating new clients, allies, and coalition partners.
- Integrate communications and legislative advocacy into litigation and other legal strategies.
- Support efforts to ensure a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- 0 to 3 years of post-law school legal experience.
- Admitted to, or be admitted to, the California State Bar.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing, and communication skills.
- Strong and demonstrated initiative, good judgment, creativity, and work ethic.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed, including for case work, court appearances, and meetings with clients and partners.
- Commitment to serving the public interest and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- Legal or non-legal experience supporting communities working to overcome injustice is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well collegially.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
|How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One or two-page cover letter that addresses why you would like serve as an associate attorney for our community-based work.
- Writing sample no longer than 12 pages, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- Law school transcripts.
- List of three professional or academic references.
Please apply online here: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=ot6fafwI&s=GSCBWLA
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Aug 15, 2019