As a result of the resignation of Circuit Judge John Contini, the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission is accepting applications for one vacancy on the Broward Circuit Court.
Applications for the Circuit Court vacancy must be received by 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2018, and should be delivered to:
Seventeenth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission
c/o William G. McCormick, Chair
401 E. Las Olas Blvd., Suite 1000
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. All applicants must have been members of The Florida Bar for at least five years, electors of the state of Florida and residents of the Seventeenth Circuit before taking office.
The application for nomination to a judicial seat is available at The Florida Bar website www.floridabar.org. To be considered, applicants must submit the following, without exception:
- One original application, typed and bound securely.
- One separate redacted copy of the application excluding all exempt information under Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, or other applicable public records law, typed and bound securely.
- An electronic copy of both the original application and the redacted application, saved in PDF format, each on a separate, password-secured flash drive, with the applicant’s name clearly indicated on the exterior of the flash drives. Each PDF must be a single file not to exceed 8 MB. The applicant shall provide the password(s) for the flash drives on a separate piece of paper and shall not write the password on the exterior of the flash drives. No other attachments or files are to be included on the flash drives.
- All letters of recommendation that the applicant wishes the commission to consider. The letters shall be included as attachments to the original application and the redacted copy, and shall be included with the applications saved on the flash drives.
- The financial disclosure information requested in the application, inclusive of a completed Form 6 (Full and Public Disclosure of Financial Interest), must be submitted with the original application, the redacted application and the electronic copies of each.
- A recent photograph of the applicant shall be attached to the application and redacted application, and included as an attachment to the applications saved to the flash drives.
- Any additional information that the applicant feels may be helpful to the commission in assessing the applicant’s qualifications. The information shall be included as attachments to the application and redacted application, and shall be included with the copies of each saved to the flash drives.
Applicants are asked to strictly follow all requests and instructions in this notice. Failure to do so could result in an application not being considered.
The commission strongly suggests that applications be submitted as soon as they are prepared and well before the deadline. Applicant interviews will be scheduled in the order in which applications are received.
After the deadline for submitting applications, the commission will determine which applicants will be interviewed. Applicants selected will be contacted to confirm the date, time and location of the interviews.
All proceedings of the commission are open to the public, except for deliberations. Accordingly, applicants should not expect applications and/or information to be kept confidential, subject to applicable Florida Statutes.
If an applicant is nominated, all materials attached to the original application will be submitted to the Governor’s Office, which may request additional copies of same.
If there is any question about the application process, please contact the Chair of the JNC, William G. McCormick, or his assistant, Gale Myerowitz at 954-761-8111.
SEVENTEENTH CIRCUIT JNC COMMISSIONERS
William G. McCormick, Chair
Christina A. McKinnon, Vice-Chair
Sidney C. Calloway
Ken J. Joyce
Kevin P. Tynan
Levi G. Williams, Jr.