Senior Attorney – Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. Health, and Income Maintenance Unit
Full-time Exempt Position
Legal Services of Greater Miami and its 30 lawyers have provided legal representation to low-income communities for 56 years. The firm is a leader in the legal aid community and has been recognized for its creative and aggressive advocacy for its clients.
Legal Services is seeking a full-time Florida licensed attorney with a minimum of 5-years’ experience to work in its Health and Income Maintenance Unit. In addition to the essential functions and responsibilities of a Staff Attorney, the Senior Attorney is responsible for assisting the Advocacy Director of the assigned Unit in the development, supervision, leadership, and substantive advocacy of the Unit. The Senior Attorney is the back up to the Advocacy Director, performs all Advocacy Director duties in the absence of the Advocacy Director, and is a member of management. The Senior Attorney performs some or all of the following responsibilities as determined by the Advocacy Director based on the needs of the Unit.
• Assist Advocacy Director with day-to-day Unit operations by supervising assigned Unit staff; providing clear, meaningful instructions to casehandlers and law clerks regarding case handling and intake-related questions; reviewing advice-only intake cases; and resolving conflicts.
• Conduct administrative duties as needed, including but not limited to preparing intake schedules.
• Effectively and efficiently run case review as requested, making appropriate case acceptance decisions.
• Assist Advocacy Director to ensure compliance with all grants and contracts assigned to the Unit.
• Direct Unit projects, including coordination of the development and implementation of projects, and providing guidance and instruction to staff assigned to oversee projects, so as to deliver high quality services and achieve project goals in a timely manner.
• Identify cross-Unit issues, and cooperatively work with other Units to meet the legal needs of clients.
• Assist Advocacy Director lead the Unit in developing strategies for the delivery of creative, effective advocacy.
• A minimum of 2-years’ experience in supervising staff with general knowledge of public benefits; healthcare litigation a plus.
• Co-counsel cases with Unit members.
Excellent benefit package and competitive non-profit salary. Comprehensive fringe benefits package includes paid holidays, paid vacation (which after two years, increases to four weeks per year), sick leave (15 days per year), five additional leave days. Full-time employees may participate in our benefits program on the 1st of the month following the date of hire. Our benefits include fully paid health insurance for employee & dependents, fully paid dental coverage for employees, dependents may also be included at a minimum fee, fully paid life insurance and Long-Term Disability policy as well as retirement savings plans with employer contributions after six months of service.
Submit resume, cover letter and writing sample. Please specify this position on the cover letter.
Apply for the Senior Attorney position – Health and Income Maintenance Unit using the link below:
Click Here to Apply
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs. Legal Services of Greater Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
LSGMI Senior Attorney Job Ad.pdf