Contract Staff Attorney
The purpose of this position is to provide civil legal assistance to eligible low income and elderly persons approved by program policies and priorities in areas such as Victims of Crime. The Attorney will provide civil legal assistance to victims of all crimes including but not limited to those provided on an emergency basis, where reasonable and where the need arises as a direct result to victimization (except torts).
The contract Attorney will work under our Victims of Crime Act Grant and Allegany Grant. The Attorney must have experience from 3-5 years dealing with Family law.
1. Interviews, certifies eligibility and identifies the legal problems of FRLS clients within a specific area of law and provides clients with appropriate legal assistance in the form of advice, referrals, or actual representation.
2. Participates in outreach.
3. Represents clients in court and before administrative agencies as accepted.
4. Provides documentation, statistical information and other records as required by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director or Executive Director.
5. Participates in case acceptance meetings.
6. Participates in training to keep up CLE’s and required and legally relevant training as may be provided by the program and as mandated by Florida Bar rules.
7. Adheres to office hours, exhibits a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills, communicates and treats clients and staff with courtesy and respect, provides constructive feedback to other advocates (including paralegals) on cases discussed.
8. Serves as a role model to support staff by promoting the values of hard work, high quality advocacy and treating others with courtesy and respect.
9. Attempts to ensure accessibility of the local office(s) when necessary by serving clients, including rural clients, non-English speaking clients and client with disabilities.
10. Promotes good relations with public, including client groups, service providers, press, and private bar, attending/speaking at local meetings as appropriate and approved by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director and/or Executive Director.
11. Develops and maintains familiarity with FRLS policies, as well as requirements of LEGAL SERVICES CORPORATION, CSC and other funders, and adheres to those policies and requirements.
12. Maintains accurate follow-up system to review cases when needed.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school.
2. Barred in Florida required.
3. Knowledge of State and Federal court procedures preferred.
4. Some knowledge of the legal system, commitment to the mission of FRLS and compassion for the clients.
5. Ability to forge positive relationships with prospects and colleagues.
6. Good organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
7. Ability to work collaboratively, yet independently.
8. Must be able to effectively and efficiently maximize existing resources.
9. Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint). Knowledge of CMS a plus.
10. Must be able to effectively work in high-pressure situations which involve deadlines.
11. Bilingual English and Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred, but not required.
Position operates in a professional office environment.
Must be willing to travel.
To apply send the following documents.
1. A cover letter expressing interest in the position.
2. Names of and contact information for at least three professional references
3. Recent writing sample
Florida Rural Legal Services, Inc., does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other characteristic protected by federal, state of local law.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay $52,084.00 - $64,765.00 per year
Please Apply Here