RESTAURANT BRANDS INTERNATIONAL US SERVICES LLC (“RBI”) JOB DESCRIPTION
Lead Counsel, Marketing & Trademarks, U.S. & International
The Lead Counsel is responsible for managing all phases of legal work in the areas of U.S. marketing, advertising and promotions for Restaurant Brands International Inc., the owner of the BURGER KING®, TIM HORTONS®, and POPEYES® brands and one of the largest quick service restaurant companies in the world. The Lead Counsel is also responsible for managing the worldwide trademark and other intellectual property (IP) portfolios of these brands, including all phases of trademark clearance, use, prosecution, maintenance and enforcement. Additional responsibilities include management of all litigation arising from areas of responsibility and marketing and IP group budgets.
The Lead Counsel will supervise and manage one or more attorneys and/or paralegals within the Legal Department. The Lead Counsel reports to the Head of Legal for U.S. and Latin America and interacts frequently with the respective Leadership Teams of each brand, the brand marketing departments, and other attorneys within the Legal Department. The Lead Counsel will also work closely with outside counsel and counsel for agencies providing services to each brand.
Marketing, Advertising & Promotions
• Manage and oversee legal compliance for advertising and promotional materials for all media, including television, radio, print, direct mail, online, mobile apps and social media
• Draft and negotiate various marketing, public relations and promotions-related agreements, including advertising agency agreements, trademark licenses, promotion and sponsorship agreements, media buying agreements, professional services ageements and vendor agreements
• Counsel and advise brands on the collection, use and disclosure of consumer data for compliance with law, as well as industry standards and guidelines related to privacy and data security (e.g., CAN-SPAM Act, TCPA)
• Manage and oversee all legal issues related to the global production and distribution of toy premiums included in the brands’ kids meal programs on a worldwide basis, including drafting and negotiating manufacturing and distribution agreements and providing counsel and advice to safety and quality assurance teams
• Manage and oversee legal compliance for marketing and promotional activities, including, but not limited to, the execution of consumer promotions such as sweepstakes and contests
• Draft and review policies with respect to marketing matters
• Perform other general legal duties and functions as may be assigned or required by business needsIntellectual Property
• Manage and oversee outside counsel with respect to trademark clearances, including, but not limited to knock out and full searches for U.S. and other jurisdictions around the world and provide clearance opinions to client groups
• Manage and oversee outside counsel with respect to the filing and prosecution of trademark applications, responses to office actions, preparation of amendments, and other substantive submissions to trademark offices around the world
• Manage and oversee outside counsel with respect to the maintenance of the company’s trademark portfolio, including the filing of renewals around the world
• Enforce the company’s trademark rights by taking action against unauthorized third party users
• Manage outside counsel with respect to the prosecution, maintenance and enforcement of the company’s patents
• Manage and oversee outside counsel with respect to copyrights and domain name portfolio
Qualifications & Skills:
• Juris Doctor of Law degree from an accredited U.S. law school required
• Member in good standing of the Florida Bar or eligible for Authorized In-House Counsel status
• 8-10 years of legal experience, law firm experience required
• Transactional experience with strong drafting and negotiating skills
• Advanced knowledge of advertising law, including consumer protection regulations and statutes enforced by the Federal Trade Commission and state attorneys general required.
• Knowledge of IP law including trademarks, copyrights, domain names, trade secrets, and patents within and outside of the United States preferred.
• Experience in managing global trademark and domain name portfolios preferred.
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Highly organized and demonstrated ability to work effectively in multi-tasking environment with high volume workload
Interested candidates should send their resumes to Raquel Peralta, Human Resources, RBI, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restaurant Brands International US Services LLC (RBI) is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.